Check out our updated Community
김희애
state / understate I know it(state) represents kinda rules or policies already indicated on something for sure. it is stated -> means kinda that's a rule here is my q what's the differences do they have between "it is not stated" and "it is understated" *native teacher let me know the word of understated and understatement the other day
'State' also means to say, or express something (in words). If you 'understate' something, it means you are describing something as less important or less significant than what it really is. For example, if the temperature was -20C and freezing and I said "It's a little cool" then I am understating how cold it was. Or if there was a major flood and I simply said, "The river just overflowed a little" then I am understating how serious the flood was. A final example ... If I said Picasso could paint a little bit, I'm understating his accomplishments.
“State” means to say or express. “Understate” has several related meanings. The simplest meaning is: the opposite of “exaggerate.” Example: “On a job application, you should not exaggerate your qualifications because that is not honest. But you should not understate them either.”
김희애
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Korean
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese