saeiiiid
Why gerund? Hello dear native speakers I have read everything in the morning’s paper, but there wasn’t anything about a bank … robbed. 1) to be 2) to have 3) that has 4) being Surely 4 is correct. But I want to know if it has anything to do with the preposution" about"? I mean: Is that because of "about" that turns into an "ing-form" verb? Thanks
Here, "being" is not a gerund. Here, it is a participle. Michael is correct that gerunds are used after prepositions like "about", but you already have a noun ("bank") after "about", so that rule doesn't quite apply. -ing can do 4 things: 1: make a verb progressive/continuous I am writing right now. 2. Turn a verb into a gerund, which acts like a noun. [this game] is fun--> [writing] is fun. I like [chicken] --> I like [writing]. 3. turn a verb into an adjective. this movie is [sad]--> this movie is [interesting]--> this movie interests me. the [tall man] over there is more handsome than the [short] man near him--> the [standing] man over there is more handsome than the [sitting] man near him 4. turn a verb into a participle, which turns a whole phrase into an adjective or adverb. I like that [yellow] dog--> I like that dog [running in the field] He looked at me [sadly]-->he looked at me, [showing immense sadness in his eyes]. The fourth pattern is what you want here. There was no news about dogs.--> there was no news about dogs running in fields. There was no news about banks--> there was no news about banks being robbed.
"Being robbed" is a passive participle functioning as an adjective which modifies bank. It is unrelated to the preposition "about." Here is a variation that uses "bank being robbed" as a subject. Police Officer - Captain! There is a bank robbery call! Police Captain - Which bank? Where? Police Officer - The bank being robbed is the XYZ bank at 123 Main Street. The comments under Chris' answer add more information.
You are on to something. But these guidelines are quite long ; it would be better for you to go to the following link than for me to copy them in here :) https://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/gerunds-and-infinitives/ The link includes : "Rule 5: Only gerunds are used after prepositions (with one exception). Consider this sentence: I talked him out of taking that job. Here, the gerund “taking” follows the preposition “of.” Prepositions can follow any word, be it a noun, a pronoun, a verb or an adjective. In the examples below, the prepositions are underlined, followed by the gerunds in bold. A preposition that follows a noun: Novels about growing up are popular among teenagers. I have an interest in becoming a painter. A preposition that follows a pronoun: I forgive you for not telling the truth. A preposition that follows a verb: She is thinking about trying martial arts. He looks forward to meeting his cousins. A preposition that follows an adjective: I am wary of going alone. My mom is scared of flying. There is one exception. Thankfully, it should be easy to remember! The exception “But” is a short word that connects two clauses of a sentence together. It is called a conjunction. Sometimes, “but” can also play a role of a preposition. When “but” is used as a preposition, it is the same in meaning as “except.” If “but” or “except” are used like this, they need to be followed by an infinitive: I had no choice but to follow her. (I had to follow her.) Mary made no stops on the way except to get gas. (Mary only stopped to get gas.) There is nothing left for me to do but to collect my money and go. (I only have to collect my money and go.) You may not see “but” and “except” used this way often. Just follow the rule of gerunds after prepositions, and you will get it right most of the time!"