penny Lin
Are these correct? Where are they going? They’re going to school and play soccer. 2: How’s this cookie? It tastes like a dead fish. 3: Both you and Cindy are get a great job. 4:Neither you nor I is Mr.Lin student. 5:Both you and John are not a good student Both you and John are good student. 6 Both he and her are doctor.
4
0
Where are they going? They’re going to school TO play soccer. 2: How’s this cookie? It tastes like a dead fish. 3: Both (you and Cindy) are getting great jobs. (You and Cindy are plural) Or Both (you and Cindy) will get great jobs. 4: Neither (one of us) IS a student of Mr. Lin. ( The expression "neither one of us" is considered SINGULAR) Or (You and I) are not students of Mr. Lin. 5: (Both of us) are poor students. Or We are poor students. (You and John) are both good students. ( You and John together are plural) 6 Both of THEM are doctors. Or Both HE and SHE are doctors. (The words, He and She are subjects of a sentence.)
Both of them are doctors.
1. They're going to school to play soccer. 2. Correct (Also hilarious) 3. "Both you and Cindy are getting great jobs" is fine. The "Both" in not needed however, so "You and Cindy are getting great jobs" would be better. 4. This one is very tricky. Technically, "Neither you nor I am Mr. Lin's student" would be correct, because the verb is closest to "I." Most people would not say this though, because it sounds terrible. A much better way to say this would be "Neither of us is Mr. Lin's student." 5. "You and John are not good students." "You and John are good students." You can but both in front if you want, but it's not necessary. 6. Both he and she are doctors. A good way to remember this is make it two sentences and see if it works. so "He is a doctor" and "Her is a doctor" doesn't work, but "He is a doctor" and "She is a doctor." does.
I originally put my answer as a comment, fixed.
penny Lin
Chinese (Cantonese), English