Mehran Jam
what difference between do you ever "vs" have you ever hello everyone. can anyone explain to me what difference between" do you ever "vs" have you ever " in the following sentences? do you ever smoke cigaret? have you ever smoked cigaret? I appreciate your assistance.
4
0
"Do you ever" is about the rules you follow, and is mostly about the PRESENT and FUTURE "Have you ever" is about your past behavior, and doesn't say anything about the present or future. I haven't ever eaten at that restaurant, but I'd love to try it--Let's go there tomorrow! I don't ever eat at that restaurant. My friend got food poisoning there, so I 'm afraid of it. I used to love meat, but I became a vegetarian three years ago, and now I don't ever eat meat. This baby hasn't ever eaten meat, but we will start feeding her meat soon, and I'm sure she will love it.
Have you ever smoked is grammatically right sentence
"Do you ever" refers to the past/presence AND future, whereas "have you ever" ONLY refers to the past. For example: If someone has smoked in the past but does not smoke anymore his/her answer to "have you ever smoked?" would be "yes" but his/her answer to "do you ever smoke?" would be "no" (because that person does not smoke now and does not plan on smoking again in the future). A person that still smokes would answer both questions with "yes" :). Hope that helped!
...
Mehran Jam
English, Persian (Farsi)