Would vs would have done Here's the context: I talked to my friend yesterday and this morning I didn't check my messages. Later I tell him: I didn't think you would reply that fast. or I didn't think you would have replied that fast. Can someone explain clearly what is the difference? My teacher makes it complicated for me. Thank you in advance.
"... that you would reply" is correct. It is the "future-in-the-past" relative to the moment of "I didn't think." English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy is excellent. A paper copy is affordable and you can find a PDF on the net. See unit 47 for reported speech. It covers the essentials of the past-in-the-past, the present-in-the-past, and the future-in-the-past.
"you would reply" is correct. It is the "future-in-the-past" relative to the moment of "I didn't think." English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy is excellent. A paper copy is affordable and you can find a PDF on the net. See unit 47 for reported speech. It covers the essentials of the past-in-the-past, the present-in-the-past, and the future-in-the-past.