Olena
What is the difference between make and produce? why do I have to say "I produced an envelope from my pocket"???
5
0
You dont have to say that. It sounds good, but you don't HAVE to say it. You could say: I took the envelope from my pocket I removed the envelope from my pocket I took the envelope out of my pocket The word make is used in many situations and has an extensive definition. It is used in phrasal verbs too "I made do with..." The word produced is also a very extensive definition. Both made and produced can be used to describe putting things together to create a new object. But one of the definitions for "produce" is to "show for inspection". The word "made" does not share this definition with "produce". There is not enough space here for both definitions, but I have included to links to both https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=define+produce https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=define+made
In daily speech you can or would produce "a document" or "documents" for inspection. So you can produce an envelope ( letter presumably) from your pocket or an envelope with a document in it. To take or pull anything else from your pocket you would simply take out from your pocket, or informally "pull it/something" out of you pocket. In the UK you may be asked to "produce" driving documents to your local police station by the police, or other government departments. So it is has Jacque has explained but for taking things from your pocket it is generally to produce/show documents to official people and departments. For anything else it is "take from your pocket" . It is unfortunate that the definition of to show is not very well explained in many dictionaries, the "bring forth" definition is probably confusing to manyforeign learners.
produce seems to be more difficult and related to some high technology. I dont know,either. according to what I have learned. :)
Olena
English, German, Russian, Ukrainian
English, German