Cathytsai1018
How to answer "how are you" ? I have a question about how to answer "how are you". When others ask me how are you, I always say "Fine" or "I feel great. And you". But I think it is a little boring and the conversation ends quickly. I want to know how would most of people response when being asked "how are you". Thank you.
4
0
"Fine" is the socially acceptable answer if you are speaking to an acquaintance or a stranger. It's considered strange to pour out details about your life to people you aren't close to. In general, unless someone is a close friend or family member, they probably don't want to hear what's really happening in your life; they're just making polite conversation.
This is more of a cultural question than a language question. "How are you" is a standard greeting in English. However, the person asking this question does not really expect any kind of a detailed response. It's just like saying "Hello" or "bonjour" (in French). If a stranger asks you "how are you" , you are expected to respond with a standard response such as, "fine, and how are you?" If you were to actually tell the stranger what is happening with your health or the health status of somebody in your family, it would be taken as some kind of a joke. During my youth, we would respond to this question by saying "fair to partly cloudy" as though we were giving a weather report. It was a sarcastic joke. "How are you" is really an unusual thing to say to a stranger, if you think about it. However, that's just how we say "hello" in English.
People use it as a greeting generally. They don’t really expect an answer other than “fine,” “okay”, or anything similar. If you do want to share more, you should consider if they’re ready to take in that information. However, I did find a webpage where you can respond to them in a more creative or funny way.: https://pairedlife.com/etiquette/Funny-and-Witty-Responses-to-the-Question-How-Are-You
The typical responses to 'how are you?' are: - I'm fine - I'm good - I'm well - I'm alright - I'm ok It's important to consider that how you respond depends on how you really feel. Some people just automatically reply with the same response, e.g. 'I'm fine' even if they feel terrible or if they feel great. However, if you are really honest and want the person to know then you may use a different response. For example, 'not so good'. The intonation you put on the response also makes a difference and can tell the person a lot about how you really feel.
Cathytsai1018
Chinese (Taiwanese), English