Dan
car buff Hello, Can anyone help me with the expression? "You are a car buff?" Does it mean that you are a car mania? If then, can the word 'buff' be used in other instances like animation buff or game buff? Please let me know how it could be used in expressions. Thank you.
2
0
To me, it’s not just passion, but showing an interest and knowledge. I’ve heard it with car, train, plane, computer etc. I think it would be ok for game or animation if you are talking about someone who knows a lot about those subjects, not somebody who likes those things.
Good question. I am a native speaker but I have only really used that term with the word "car". It is usually meant to imply that you have a passion for cars. I am not sure if people use the term "buff" in combination with other words but I would wait to see what other people reply.
Dan