Pelin
Can I use these interchangeably? It didn't sound like it to me. It didn't look like it to me. It didn't come to me like that.
4
0
It didn't sound like it to me. (You would say this if the subject can be heard.) It didn't look like it to me. (You would say this if the subject can be seen.) It didn't come to me like that. (incorrect)
Nathaly, please correct your grammar errors so that you are giving accurate answers.
For the first two, they are sometimes interchangeable. There are two situations to consider: “literal” situations (in which you actually saw or heard something) and non-literal situations (in which you are discussing a situation with friends, rather than actually using your sense of sight or hearing. Literal situations: Use “It didn’t look like it to me” to say that, based on what your eyes saw, you think the situation is different than suggested. Use “It didn’t sound like it to me” to say that, based on what your ears heard, you think the situation is different than suggested. Non-literal situations: If you are discussing a situation with friends and trying to deduce what happened, you can use “look” and “sound” interchangeably. Example: A: “Do you think the company is going to succeed?” B: “Based on everything you told me and everything I’ve read, it doesn’t look like it/sound like it to me.” “It didn’t come to me like that” is an unusual phrase and I’m not clear on what it means. In this context, maybe it means “The story/facts that I heard about are different from the story/facts that you are telling me now.” So, this phrase is not interchangeable with the others.
In terms of their purpose all 3 refer to the feedback, perception you received from the other party. Naturally, if you use the expression "...sound like it..." is more related to what it is, a sound. You can also use this when talking about what someone else said. Examples: Situation 1: For this one we well use 2 names: Ari & Naty Naty: What's that!? Was that an actual wolf? Ari: No. It didn't sound like it to me. Situation 2: Ari and Naty will be our characters Ari: Ramirez sounded sick when she spoke. Do you think she is catching a cold? Naty: It didn't sounded like that to me. Maybe is just her natural voice. She used to be a smoker. Ari: I didn't know. It was not the kind of voice I was expecting about our teacher. I pictured her with a sweet voice. I heard great things about her from the other students. If we are talking about the expression "It didn't look like it to me" it refers to observation. Let's say someone told you something and gave you their interpretation of what they saw. If you think differently you may reply with this expression and explain your point of view.
Pelin
English, Turkish