Luiz
''Born to'' and ''In to'' ''She is the first Puritan figure in American Literature and notable for her large corpus of poetry, as well as personal writings published posthumously. Born to a wealthy Puritan family in Northampton, England, Bradstreet was a well-read scholar especially affected by the works of Du Bartas.'' 1) The paragraph above holds information on the little known yet notable poet Anne Bradstreet. What does ''born to'' mean in the context concerned? Would it be the same if I replaced such expression by ''She was born in a wealthy...''? 2) In regard to the verse below, which is the sole authorship of William Shakespeare, what does ''in to'' mean in the phrase ''I was in to despair''? ''Beshrew thee, cousin, which didst lead me forth / Of that sweet way I was in to despair!'' Thank you very much.
6
0
Matt explained 1) very well. You broke up 2) incorrectly. Cousin, you led me forth. Where did you lead me forth from? You led me forth of/from the sweet way I was in= you led me away from the good road that I was walking on. Where did you lead me forth to? You led me forth to the state of despair. In other words, the speaker had a good, pleasant life until the cousin led them away from that life and into a much worse one.
1) To me, it would work better as "born into...". I think "born to" works better in "born to parents". When you're referring to the family, "born into" sounds better to me. "Born in a wealthy..." would technically work too, but "into" and even "to" would be better options. 2) Shakespeare is a whole different matter from modern English. That was also poetry, so it takes some creative license. It sounds to me like he's just saying "I was in despair", and added in the "to" for effect or for the rhythm or possibly because that was the phrase back then.
Luiz
English, Portuguese