Ethan
What is the opposite to " I am five bucks/minutes short"?
4
0
"I am five bucks/minutes short"? (lacking) I need fifteen bucks/dollars to see the movie, but I only have ten. I am five bucks short. The time ended before I finished the exam. I was five minutes short of completing it. How you say the opposite depends on the context. The store clerk charged me five bucks over the amount. (too much) I have five bucks more than I need to see the movie. I ran five minutes over the exam time.
xx
Thank you, Ruediger. Does “I am 3 minutes short of record” mean “ I am 3 minutes faster than record” or “3 minutes slower”?
Hi Ethan. When you are short of something you are still missing or lacking it. "It still need five bucks". The opposite would be : I have five bucks spare (or five bucks more). Paula Radcliffe came in first in the marathon. But this time she came three minutes short of her personal record.
Ethan
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
English, Italian, Japanese, Spanish