Phoenix
Have u been or Did u go How can I distinguish 'have u been to Hk' and 'did u go to HK'
2019年7月23日 09:02
5
0
The first and most important thing that you need to learn is this: 'U' IS NOT A WORD. If your teacher taught you that 'u' is an acceptable way of writing the pronoun 'you', they were wrong. It looks lazy, silly and childish. If you want people to take you seriously in any situation, you need to stop writing 'u'. Now to your question: "Have you been to Hong Kong?" This refers to any time in your life up to now - it doesn't matter when. ( an open time period). "Did you go to Hong Kong?" This refers to a specific period which is now finished - we know when this was. ( a closed time period) Here are two examples: A: "I haven't been to many places in Asia." B: "Have you been to Hong Kong?" C: "No, but I'd love to go there one day." as opposed to A: "I took a two-month trip to Asia last year". B: "Did you go to Hong Kong?" C: "No, I didn't. There wasn't time, unfortunately." Does that make sense? Can you see the difference between the open and closed time periods?
2019年7月23日
When you talk about experiences you use 'present perfect'. E.g. Have you (ever) been to HK? Have you (ever) tried sushi? Have you (ever) played tennis? When you talk about a finished action you use 'past simple'. You normally need to use a time reference; last year, last week, yesterday, 2 days ago. E.g. Did you go to HK last year? What film did you see yesterday? How was the trip last summer?
2019年7月23日
Good morning! It's pretty simple. When you set a period of time in the sentence you must use the simple past, if you don't, use the present perfect. In your example, the correct form would be: have you been to HK?
2019年7月23日
Phoenix
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese