Does it sound natural and is there any alternative to the sentences in the same idea? In Guangxi, China, the local people argued with me, "you eat beef, you eat mutton, why can't we eat dog? They're all animals". Looking at them swallowing greedily, I just wondered when they want human flesh on their tables.
I made a few small changes to the first part. What you wrote was correct, but I prefer the changes. In Guangxi, China, the local people argued with me, "You eat beef and you eat mutton, so why can't we eat dog? They're all animals". The 2nd sentence needs 'would' added: Looking at them swallowing greedily, I just wondered when they would want human flesh on their tables. I'd probably rewrite it and say, "Looking at them swallowing greedily, I was wondering when human flesh was available on their menus"