David
How does 는 mean in 듣는 수업? The text from my workbook is: A: 요즘 듣는 수업이 어때요? B: 처음 에는 어려워서 좀 힘들었는에 이제는 [쉽졋어요]. I put 쉽졋어요 in the blank. I thought A translates to "how was it listening in class?". I would have written it as 수업에서 듣기 어때요? I also thought 듣는 수업 might mean "listening class" so I thought it could also meaning "how was listening class. However the picture in the workbook shows a student listening to a lecture on and it doesn't look like a language class. Can you explain the use of 는 in 듣는 수업?
1
0
-는 is the present tense action form of 듣다 (to hear, listen, take a class). 듣는 수업 means "the class you're taking". A: 요즘 듣는 수업이 어때요? = How is the class you're taking these days? B: 처음 에는 어려워서 좀 힘들었는에 이제는 [쉬워졌어요] = I had difficulties in the beginning because it was tough, but it got easier now. (쉽다's stem becomes 쉬우 when it comes before a vowel (ㅂ-irregular conjugation) = 쉬워, 쉬우니까, 쉬운) One tricky thing with this type of expression is that Korean often drops the subject and marker particles, making them look ambiguous sometimes. For example: - 생선을 먹는 고양이 = a cat eating fish (고양이 is the subject of 먹다) - 먹는 것 = things to eat (것 is the object of 먹다. The subject is people and animals in general) - 듣는 수업 = (당신이) 듣는/듣고 있는 수업 (수업 is the object, subject is omitted) The noun after -는 can be in different relations to the verb, so that the contextual knowledge plays an important role. While learning, this might look unclear compared with English where the subject is usually there to make it more clear. But it makes it more flexible and versatile too. You need to be familiar with how things are customarily left out to understand such phrases. As for "listening class" (i.e. a class about listening), we will usually say 듣기 수업 where 듣기 is the noun corresponding to "listening".
David
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean
Chinese (Mandarin), Korean