Sergey Apenkin
How do I name a room? Hi. I am wondering how do you call a bathroom where a bowl and bath located in the same room? Not separated. In my language, we call that "совмещенный санузел", but I presume that in the dictionary I can find non relevant definitions. Thank you.
8
0
Мы называем такие туалеты - "full bathrooms" They have a sink, a toilet, and a shower/bath. A half bathroom would just have a toilet and sink.
It is still called "a bathroom" even if it has a toilet in it as well.
In the US, we generally call any room with a toilet a "bathroom" (or "restroom," which is a slightly more polite term). Even if there is no bath in the room, we still call it a bathroom. If there's a bath and also a toilet, it's a bathroom. If there's a toilet and no bath, it's a bathroom. If there's a bath and no toilet... I've never seen a room like that in the US, but it would probably still be called a bathroom. As Michael says, the terms "full bathroom" and "half bathroom" can be used to distinguish a "complete" bathroom from a partial one -- but nobody uses these terms unless they're describing a house or apartment that they are planning to buy, rent, or sell.
That would be a bathroom UK, or a restroom American. However the room can have other names for estate agents UK a house has a toilet or a bathroom [sometimes as one room with a toilet also it would still be called a bathroom by Estate agents or referred to as such on the local council 'council tax' valuation of that home] It seems that Americans and Canadians find it abrupt and unnecessary to say "the toilet" for the room where the lavatory is located. This is the occasion where they say "the restroom" For the UK an Estate agent trying to sell and hype up an apartment that has been modernised/refurbished they would call it many things, to try and sell quickly.
..
Sergey Apenkin
English, German, Russian
English, German