Wu Ting
How would you interpret this sentence? How would you interpret the second sentence “…on the wall behind it they had stuck up sheets of black cartridge paper with the names of concentration camps and pictures of barbed-wire fences”? Does it mean they had stuck up sheets of black cartridge paper with the names of concentration camps, and they had also stuck up pictures of barbed-wire fences on the wall? Or does it mean they had stuck up sheets of black cartridge paper and there were names of concentration camps and pictures of barbed-wire fences on those sheets of black cartridge paper? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Siren” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: On Holocaust Remembrance Day all the classes were taken to the school hall. A makeshift stage had been put up and on the wall behind it they had stuck up sheets of black cartridge paper with the names of concentration camps and pictures of barbed-wire fences. As we filed in, Sivan asked me to keep her a seat so I grabbed two. She sat down next to me and it was a little crowded on the bench. I put my elbow on my knee and the back of my hand brushed her jeans. It was thin and nice to the touch and I felt as if I touched her body.
2019년 7월 25일 오전 9:10
1
0
Hello Wu Ting, great question. It could be interpreted either way if you go by the grammar of the sentence alone, but my guess is that your second interpretation is correct. I looked up black cartridge paper for some clarity and it is a certain kind of paper used for drawing. This led me to believe that both the names and the pictures were displayed on the sheets of paper. Here's the site I found that explained about the paper: https://makingamark.blogspot.com/2008/09/what-is-cartridge-paper.html Hope that helps.
2019년 7월 25일
Wu Ting