Ashraful Haque
Is 'some' being used as singular here? 1) If the moon landing was fake SOME scientist from NASA would've exposed it by now. 2) I'm sure you'll find SOME heater that comes with that feature. 3) SOME friend you are! 4) They are going to the country for SOME wedding.
4
0
yes it is
The Oxford Learner's Dictionaries are an excellent resource. https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/some_1?q=some 1) If the moon landing was fake SOME scientist from NASA would've exposed it by now. correct - Oxford meaning #5 2) I'm sure you'll find SOME heater that comes with that feature. correct - Oxford meaning #5 3) SOME friend you are! correct - Oxford meaning #6 4) They are going to the country for SOME wedding. correct - Oxford meaning #5
Hi, Im not a native speaker. Those "some"s in your examples sound like "a certain" or "a" to me. Here, I copied some entries from Longman Dictionary for your information. 【some】 ........ 4 used to mean a person or thing, when you do not know or say exactly which: ---- There must be some reason for her behaviour. ----Can you give me some idea of the cost? some kind/type/form/sort of something ---- We can hopefully reach some kind of agreement. 5 (informal) used when you are talking about a person or thing that you do not know, remember, or understand, or when you think it does not matter: ----Some guy called for you while you were gone. ----Just give him some excuse or other. 6 used to say that something was very good or very impressive ----That was some party last night! 7 → some friend you are/some help she was etc
Hi Ashraful, SOME is used for plural and uncountable nouns to express quantity - so your first sentence should read 'some scientists'. The second sentence is unclear - can you provide the context. The 3rd sentence is an idiomatic expression, and the 4th is a very informal use of 'some' as an adjective, here meaning 'unknown and (probably) uninteresting. Hope that helps! Helen
Ashraful Haque
Bengali, English