Olga
About Queen Victoria time Hello! I try to translate a story from British writer Robert Graves which is titled ‘My Best Christmas’. He described Queen Victoria, how he remembered her appearing in public. This is that fragment from the story: ‘a fat little lady in black riding through the Park with an escort of Lifeguardsmen – her open barouche drawn by two splendid high-stepping grey horses, and the band playing: ‘Make way, make way, for the rowdy-dowdy boys.’ I can’t understand about a music. I’ve found an old song ‘The rowdy-dowdy boys’, where is a line ‘Hi! hi! clear the way For the Rowdy Dowdy Boys!’. But it’s the song from music hall. They couldn’t play this song according the Queen, could they? If it’s like a joke, what will be real song or may be a hymn the band could playing that time in this case? Everybody, who knows, help me, please!
Helen, thank you!
What an interesting question - I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but Robert Graves was a great chronicler of his time - and is usually a reliable commentator. So perhaps it is true!