Mehrdad
I am talking to a friend.... Which is better option... I was going to a shop and saw....(I feel the past simple and continous are more appropriate in writing...) Or I go to a shop and I see... (I feel the present is more appropriate in conversation, even though I am talking about the past... ) Here I am trying to have a conversation with a friend.... Thank you!
6
0
In written English and spoken English, a mix of past, present, and future tenses are used to describe past events. Ex: My uncle died last Monday and his funeral is tomorrow. He was a wonderful man who we will miss. (note - whom we will miss is archaic and rarely used now) For summarizing a book or a movie, or telling a joke, the simple present tense is normally used ("narrative present tense" or "historical present"). Ex: A man and a dog walk into a bar. The man orders a beer. Then, the dog orders a beer. Surprised, the bartender says to the man, "your dog talks!" The man says.... Here is more information: https://christinarebuffet.com/blog/past-tenses-in-english/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_present
I was going to a shop and saw.... Seeing happened in the process of going ? - possible, but strange I was going to the shop and saw an accident on the street. I go to a shop and I see... Strange. Well, yesterday went like this: I go to the shop and I see an accident - As if a narrative - using present in the frame of reference of the narrative present? . As Sylvia says, past is more common. ... I went to the shop and there I saw this wonderful skirt/phone/car/dog.
I was going to a shop and saw..
I go to a shop. I see a book. I buy it. (three sequential actions - unusual wording) I went to a shop. I saw a book. I bought it. (three sequential actions - usual wording) While I was going to a shop, I saw a car accident. (two overlapping actions - usual wording).
What's the question?
Mehrdad
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Persian (Farsi), Russian, Spanish
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian, Spanish