Mehrdad
I have been studying Japanese forever.... I thought the present perfect continous indicates temporary situation.... But in the above sentence the word 'forever' indicates that the situation is permanent.... I am a bit confused. Thank you.
3
0
Native English speaker from the USA. Have been is the present perfect tense. The present perfect tense starts somewhere in the past and continues right up until the present. I have been studying Japanese forever means at some point in the past I started studying Japanese and up until now I am still studying it. (And it seems like it has been forever.) If the present perfect seems confusing think of it this way: You ask someone if they have ever seen a parrot. You are asking if ever in their life up to the present they have seen a parrot. It includes the present because the answer could be: Yes, I have seen a parrot. I saw one two years ago. OR Yes, one just now flew over head.
If 'always,' 'forever,' and 'constantly' are used in a continuous tense, it means something happens more often than normal. For example: She is always forgetting her keys ( - she usually forgets her keys, and it is not good.) Therefore, I guess the meaning of the given sentence is 'I started studying Japanese a long time ago, and I am still learning it. Surprisingly, I will continue to do so.' So, it implies 'he/she loves studying Japanese until the end of your life, or he/she not intelligent enough to learn in a limited time.
Edited: I wrongly put my answer in the comment section.
Mehrdad
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Persian (Farsi), Russian, Spanish
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian, Spanish