Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase “the nurse’s room” in the context? How would you interpret this phrase “the nurse’s room” mentioned in the last sentence of the third passage? What kind of room would it be in a school? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Siren” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: On Holocaust Remembrance Day all the classes were taken to the school hall. A makeshift stage had been put up and on the wall behind it they had stuck up sheets of black cartridge paper with the names of concentration camps and pictures of barbed-wire fences. … …Some of the ninth graders got up onto the stage and the ceremony began. When all the students had declaimed the usual texts, an oldish man in a maroon sweater came onto the stage and told us about Auschwitz. He was the father of one of the students. He didn’t speak long, just fifteen minutes or so. Afterward we went back to our classrooms. As we went outside I saw Sholem, our janitor, sitting on the steps by the nurse’s room, crying. “Hey, Sholem, what’s wrong?” I asked. “That man in the hall,” he said, “I know him, I also was in the Sonderkommando.”
The room set aside for nurses to either sleep or to rest and relax take breaks and have refreshments. It depends on the place that is being described or spoken about. So for your context the place is obviously a school and the nurse's room is almost certainly the room where a nurse or nurses would perform nurses duties. A nurse's room used to be common in many buildings in UK schools and offices etc. Now they are restricted to only a few schools and a few office spaces of some more corporate companies.
I don't think there's much interpretation necessary, it's simply the room of the school nurse.