Kewin
私 and 俺 After several months studying Japanese by myself, I have discovered only yesterday the existence of the personal pronoun 俺 watching a Youtube video made by a French guy. He said that men don't use 私 but 俺. First question, is that right? Second question: how is it about 俺たち and 私たち? Is 俺たち the translation of "we" for men so a group of men and 私たち a "we" for women so a group of women? And how to say "we" when there are men and women? お願いします。
>I hope there won't be any other surprise about personal pronouns from now. Désolé, mais bien sûr, vous en aurez plus. L'abondance des pronoms personnels est l'une des caractéristiques importantes de la langue japonaise.
For first question, I say “That’s wrong.” Men also use 私 in formal situation. For example business scene or you have to speech in front of audience, some thing like that. Japanese president Abe, he always use 私. Even business man use 私 in a conference or talk with client. 俺 is casual pronoun. So you can use daily but usually don’t use it in important business scene or any formal situation. Men has 3 mejor pronouns. 俺<僕<私。俺 is informal. 私 is formal. 僕 is between. You can use daily also you can use formal situations. But it more casual sound than 私, so it’s depends on how formal is that situation. Actually if you read Japanese manga, you can see more pronouns lol But most Japanese men use 俺/僕/私, so these are enough. Then, about group. It’s depends on the speaker is man or woman, also it’s formal situation or not. If the speaker is woman, it’s always "私たち" even only the speaker is woman in the group. And it doesn’t matter formal or informal. Because women always use 私. If the speaker is man, the speaker use 俺たち for casual situation. 私たち for formal. It doesn’t matter even the speaker is only man in the group. We don’t care about that group is only men or women or mix. The point is what is the speaker’s sexuality. I hope it helps your understanding.
Thank you Ben for this clear explanation. I hope there won't be any other surprise about personal pronouns from now.
Hi Kewin, although men do use 俺 it can be considered quite rude as it is quite a direct way of saying "I". It tends to only be heard in アニメ or when a male is displaying a lot of confidence with his male friends at a 飲み会 or other such meeting. Men tend to use the personal pronoun 僕(ぼく)in daily speech. In regards to the second question, Japanese keeps personal pronoun genders neutral like "私たち" can be used by both male and female, it doesn't matter about the gender. ーたち is actually quite different from English as it can also mean "Them". For example you can say "マイクたちはコンビニに行きます" Literally meaning "Mike and the group will go to the convenience store". You'll get the hang of it eventually after of practice and exposure to the word.