Kihwan jung
I'd like to understand this dialogue I was watching Overwatch comics and I couldn't understand that dialogue below. man : Hey. Not likely. OL'DUCKY's loaded tonight. woman : Like I trust you to land a shot. Believe me, if we wake the hog, we're ... I can't understand what woman said ; 'Like I trust you to land a shot' Well I can translate it, but I don't get the meaning of it from the context. I think that is kind of a pun related to 'loaded', which the man mentioned because 'shot' and 'loaded' are the word about a gun. And plus, what is OL'DUCKY? I think it's a word that is created for the comics, so if you don't know , never mind!
5
0
Daniel's explanation of "OL'DUCKY" seems likely. To "land a shot" is to successfully hit something (when you fire a gun). If you shoot at something but you don't hit it, you didn't land the shot. Based on the rest of the sentence, it sounds like the woman is speaking sarcastically. The word "like" at the beginning of a sentence can have a sarcastic meaning (you can also use the phrase "as if" for this). So when she says "Like I believe..." she probably means "Do you really think I believe..." In other words, she doesn't expect him to be able to shoot whatever he's saying he's going to shoot.
Oh Thank you :) what a funny name for a gun😀😀
I should also add that "loaded" is another word for "very drunk", but I don't think it applies in this case.
I have not seen that comic, but I am pretty sure that OL'DUCKY is the name of his gun. Sometimes English speakers will give names to objects and call them that by that name. So instead of saying "my gun is loaded tonight", he says "OLDUCKY is loaded tonight"
Kihwan jung
English, Korean, Russian