XiaoDeng
meat market Robin: I'm so sick of the meat market scene. Guys are like the subway. You miss one, and another one comes along in five minutes. (from How I Met Your Mother) Does 'meat market' mean anything else?
There are some places that have a reputation that you can easily meet someone of the appropriate sex there to start dating. This is usually a bar or a club. But sometimes, there are some strange places (grocery stores, coffee shops, etc.) that have a similar reputation - people who go there are looking for dates. Those places are sometimes slangily called "meat markets." (this has a bit of a disparaging tone). So you can have conversations like: "Is that what you're wearing to church?" "Well, it's kind of a meat market these days.... so..." or "I don't want to go to that bar. It's such a meat market, and I just want to talk to my friends without being bothered." or "Why is he going to the grocery store across town?" "He's been single for a while, and it turns out, the store on 10th and Main is a total meat market." ----------------- Robin is saying that she's tired of going to places where the focus is trying to meet men.
It means the dating scene.