younes
hi there.gist of sentence? hi there.1.whats gis of this sentence?" I was just at a writing colony up in the Adirondacks, and I read a bit of my piece on face blindness. And I was then told a rather painful story" writing colony? 2.whats meaning of "staff" in this sentence.? she wanted to join the staff 3.whats meaning of "so" in this sentence" But it turned out that she was so face blind That’s a big question. I was just at a writing colony up in the Adirondacks, and I read a bit of my piece on face blindness. And I was then told a rather painful story—both painful and funny—which was that the year before, one of the residents had so liked the place that she wanted to join the staff. But it turned out that she was so face blind that she couldn’t reliably recognize any of the other people on the staff, or any of the people there. And they had to let her go. But one has to try and shape the environment. My
2
0
1. "Writing colony" is an uncommon phrase, but it just means a place far from a city where writers hang out together and write. Similarly, an "artists' colony" is a rural area where lots of artists live or visit. 2. The "staff" of a company is all the people who work for that company. Each company has one "staff", which includes all of its employees. Company A has 500 employees, and company B has 10 employees: company A's staff is much bigger than company B's. 3. so...that is a grammatical structure. "He is so [adjective] that [sentence]" means that he is very [adjective], and [sentence] is the result. He is so fat that he can't fit through a door. He is so smart that he can do math better than Einstein could. She was so tired that she fell asleep as soon as she got home. A slight variation is he [verbs] so [adverb] that [sentence] He runs so fast that even Usain Bolt can't catch him. He eats so much that he needs special, large bowls.
younes
English, Persian (Farsi)