Jayden
Which one is correct? Thanks! Plastics flow into oceans, many/much of which are/is ingested by fish.
3
0
The problem is that it’s not clear whether many/much is referring to “plastics” or “oceans”. Here’s a slightly better way to put it. (By putting “many” immediately after the word it refers to, the number is obvious): “Plastics, many of which are ingested by fish, flow into oceans.” While that makes the referent of “many” clear, the order of events is not, so here’s how I would prefer to phrase it: “Plastics flow into oceans and are subsequently ingested by fish.” If you don’t like “subsequently”, you could simply put “then”.
In this instance, I would say, "Plastics flow into oceans, much of which is ingested by fish." as I am thinking of 'plastics' in the general sense.
It should read “plastic flows into the ocean, much of which is ingested by fish.”
Jayden