Kai
English Grammar Hi friends, May I know if I can sometimes leave out the article "the" like this? A.)She is most prettiest among them instead of She is the most prettiest among them B.) He is most good looking among them instead of He is the most good looking among them C.) I love my mom most instead of I love my mom the most. D.) I care about you most instead of you I care about you the most. I guess I can leave out "the" in both A and B but not C and D because Both A and B still sound good without "the".
6
0
You can’t live out the article “the” due to it is part of a superlative. In A, you don’t need “most” because you are using prettiest that is superlative of pretty. A. She is THE PRETTIEST among them B. He is THE MOST good looking among them C. I love my mom THE MOST D. I care about you THE MOST
She is prettiest. She is the prettiest. She is the most pretty. of those we are talking about. She is most pretty. (Formal sounding. “Most” is a little like “very”.)
Thank you Greg
A and B aren't natural at all without the 'the'. C and D are natural with or without the 'the'.
Kai
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Hokkien), English, Indonesian, Malay, Russian
Chinese (Cantonese), English, Indonesian, Malay, Russian