re1māt0
Seeking for formal foreign words in English Salutations everyone on iTalki! I am looking for any foreign words and/or loanwords that sounds more formal and sophisticated rather than informal, vulgar, and laid-back. I know that saying 'n'est-ce pas?' is more formal than saying 'isn't it?' and 'ultra vires' is a formal Latin phrase and it can only be used for law. Some French words such as 'au contraire' (on the contrary) can be humorous which is informal. I am using a book called "Faux Pas? A No-Nonsense Guide to Words and Phrases from Other Languages" by Philip Gooden. The purpose is to become more sophisticated and 'upper-class' at the English language skills even though I am fluent for over a score (20 years) since the age of 6 in the USA. I moved from the Philippines in 1999 which English is my only mother tongue. I apologize for any annoyance. Thank you so much for your time to read my topic. Raymart Lipat
re1māt0
Afrikaans, English, Esperanto, French, German, Japanese, Maltese, Manchu, Other, Spanish, Swedish, Welsh
Afrikaans, Esperanto, French, German, Japanese, Manchu, Other, Welsh