آنا
Will a native English speaker type "he he" to express he / she is laughing?
4 sie 2019 13:52
14
0
I don't have a problem with "hehe"'. In fact, I often receive "hehe" from friends and family as a response to funny remarks. As Steve says, "hehe" sounds more 'devious' than the louder and more expansive "haha". "Haha" sounds like you're laughing out loud for everyone to hear, while 'hehe' is a quiet little chuckle to yourself.
5 sierpnia 2019
I'm a native English speaker and I have used "hehe" to express a small giggle. Note that there is no space between the two "he"s. But there aren't really a lot of rules to this sort of slang. "hehe" is a sort of childish and juvenile expression. I can't see Noam Chomsky using it in one of his books, but I could see a female teenager internet star using it all the time. "hehe that's cute" "ha ha, very funny" "LOL that's hilarious" "ROTFLOL you're killing me!"
4 sierpnia 2019
I sometimes use hehe when I text my wife. I also use lol and haha. To me, hehe is a little more "devious", in a fun way. For instance, "If you don't get home soon I'm gonna eat this whole pizza by myself hehe." (but that's just me, lol)
5 sierpnia 2019
You may see it occasionally. English-speaking Russians often use "hehe" to show amusement, because it sounds a lot like the Russian equivalent, "хехе." Many professional translators, when translating from Russian to English, will use "hehe" to translate "хехе," in novels and other media. But native English speakers rarely use "hehe" themselves. I agree with Irene's answer. "Haha" is fairly common, and the most common way to express laughter online or in text messages is "lol" ("laughing out loud"). I personally also use "heh," as Irene describes it (a mildly amused sound), and sometimes "hah!" if I'm more amused. I'm not sure if I qualify as an "older" speaker, but I do think of "lol" as a term that should be used only in extremely informal contexts. "Hah" or "heh" can be used in less informal situations.
4 sierpnia 2019
Hi Ana, *Older* speakers of (at least, American) English may type “heh” to express a sort of gruff chuckle when they are slightly amazed or pleased by something or find it a little funny. But most speakers of American English would type “lol” or “ha(ha)”.
4 sierpnia 2019
آنا
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
Arabic, English