Hernandez
tell me about it Hello, everyone I know you can use “tell me about it” when you are talking about yourself. But what about whrn you are talking about someone else. For example: Two people are taking about one kid who won’t sit still and is really loud. Then one person says “Geez, this kid sure is loud”... And then other person says “His mother is well aware of that. She even have to wear earplugs during the day, so she won’t go deaf” Does it sound odd? I know you can’t say “tell her mother about it”... So I was trying to come up with another similiar expression. What could I say , to mean that his mother is deeply affected by his loudiness and screaming? If I want to say that in a joking way, what could I say? “His mother would know. She even wears earplugs.” “His mother is well aware of that”? “ Thank you
4 de Ago de 2019 às 14:25
14
0
"tell me about it" is not the correct expression for your story. You could say "she's in the same boat". "Geez this kid is loud" "Tell me about it, he's breaking my eardrums" "Yeah, his mothers' in the same boat, she even wears earplugs" "Tell me about it" is always something you say about yourself. You are agreeing with the other person's statement in a polite but mildly sarcastic way (as if you were saying "that's so obvious that you don't really have to tell me about it"). "We're in the same boat" or "They're all in the same boat" is something you say about a group of people who are experiencing the same thing. It's a nice expression.
4 de Agosto de 2019
It sounds like you're trying to convey sarcastic humor. The reason "tell me about it" works for talking about yourself is because it is sarcastic. The meaning is "That is so obvious that I already know it," but the words are essentially saying, "I didn't know that. Tell me about it." The humor lies in saying the opposite of what you mean. You can carry that principal of "saying the opposite" to a situation about other people if there is something obvious (or generally understood) that be contradicted. Perhaps while the child is making noise, the mother is holding her phone to one ear and plugging her other ear with her finger so she can hear the person she's speaking to. Observer A says, "That kid sure is loud." Observer B sees the mother plugging her ear, and he replies, "Yeah? His mother doesn't seem to have any idea." It's sarcastic because the observers can see that the mother knows that the child is noisy. If the mother wasn't trying to block the noise, the sarcasm wouldn't be effective. You can still convey sarcasm if the mother isn't there or isn't showing awareness, as long as you have something that is obvious or understood from the circumstances. For instance, the child is noisy every day at school. The teachers have sent notes home to the mother, and finally the mother has been asked to come to a meeting at the school to talk with the principal about her disruptive child. Teacher A says, "Wow, that kid sure is loud." Teacher B replies, "You'd think his mother would have heard about it by now." Since the school has told the mother about the child's noise many times, the teachers know that the mother has heard about the issue, even if she hasn't done something about it.
4 de Agosto de 2019
Someone?
4 de Agosto de 2019
Please
4 de Agosto de 2019
Hernandez
English, French, Spanish