Speare
Difference between "It sucks getting here." and "It sucks to get here."? Do they mean the same?
4
0
"It sucks getting here" sounds OK, meaning the journey was unpleasant. "It sucks to get here" I guess would be understood but sounds weird to me and I can't imaging a native English speaker saying it. Personally I would prefer "Getting here sucks"
Thanks
Short answer: "It sucks getting here" is correct, the other option sounds unnatural. Long answer: In this kind of structure, many verbs can be put in either the gerund (ing form) or infinitive (to form) with little difference in meaning (I like to sing / I like singing), but with certain verbs the meaning will change. I remembered to take my keys = I remembered I needed to take my keys and so I took them; I remembered taking my keys = I remembered that I had taken my keys. The infinitive has an abstract feeling, it points to the idea or goal of the action. Gerund is more concrete and real, it points to the actual activity or process.
Speare
English, Portuguese