What's the difference between ''Here you are'' and ''There you are''? Is one more formal than the other?
These expressions can be used by a person who searches and, alternatively, by a person who is found. For example, if you were in a room with lots of people, you might take some time to SEARCH for your friend. When you find them, you say, "There you are! I was looking everywhere for you". In another example, you are standing still and waiting for your friend to FIND you. When they arrive, you say, "Here you are! I have been waiting 15 minutes". I hope this helps
No difference whatsoever
Thank you very much, Teacher Daniela!
Here you are is used when the person is very close to you, like a few meters away. There you are is used for a situation where the individual is either a moderate distance away or has just found something. Hope it helps! -Teacher Daniela
@Stu Thank you so much for helping me out! @Tom DiPietro I really appreciate your explanation.