Wu Ting
How would you interpret the phrase “with the right credit card” in the context? How would you interpret the phrase “with the right credit card” in the seventh sentence? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Good Intentions” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: I’m thirty-one. I’ve had twenty-nine contracts since I got started. Twenty-six of them I completed in one go. I never try to understand the people I kill. Never try to understand why. Business is business, and like I said, I’m a pro. I’ve got a good reputation, and in a profession like mine a good reputation is all that counts. You don’t exactly place an ad in the paper or offer special rates to people with the right credit card. The only thing that keeps you in business is that people know they can count on you to get the job done. That’s why I’ve made it a policy never to back out on a contract. Anyone who checks my record will find nothing but satisfied customers. Satisfied customers and stiffs.
1
0
The author is making reference to the fact that certain credit cards charge more for the services. Some companies refuse to accept some CCs due to the high costs of payment transfers involved. The Netherlands - it's almost impossible to shop with Visa, fro example! Having the 'right' credit card will mean one of the mainstream, high street bank cards that don't impose a charge on shops for using them, making it easier for shops/services to offer discounts.
Wu Ting