Laura
What word is this? Trying to read this teen novel and I'm already stuck on page one... What is "とりたくないよー!"? I know よis the emphasis particle. The ない makes me think it is a negative verb. But when I tried looking it up on wwwjdic, I couldn't find it... Maybe I'm getting the verb stem wrong... (Or is it an adjective...? Or an adverb?)
7
0
I think ない is adverb in Japanese grammar.
Well, let's break it in parts, shall we? とりたくないよー I think that とり comes from the verb とる, which means to take. た is the short form for たい which means "to want" and it comes in its short form when used before く in some verb conjugations. For example: 行きたい=I want to go / 行きたくない=I don't want to go. You add く so you can add the ない which is the negation. よ is the emphatic particle, as you said. The whole sentence would mean: I don't want to take it or I can't take it anymore!
Laura
English, Japanese, Korean
Japanese, Korean