Bella
Please, could anyone explain the two following confused sentences? 1- "So is everyone else". Is "so" the subject of this phrase? 2- "You have come to register have you?" Is "have you" a tag question in this sentence?!
6
0
"You have come to register, have you?" is natural in British English. It's unnatural in American English, because we don't use this kind of question tag. Normally, a positive statement requires a negative question tag, but British English also allows for positive statements with positive question tags, in some cases. Here's a page that talks about how they're used (courtesy of Su.Ki. in a comment on a post a few days ago): https://www.dailystep.com/en/blog/positive-statements-positive-question-tags Nicole has explained the use of "so." Here are some more examples of this usage: "I'm a teacher." "So am I." (meaning: "I am also a teacher" / "I'm a teacher too.") "My coffee is too hot." "So is mine." (meaning: "My coffee is also too hot." "I have a cat, and so does my sister." (meaning: "I have a cat, and my sister has a cat too.") "I'd like to leave now, and so would my husband." (meaning: "I'd like to leave now, and my husband would also like to leave now.")
Thank you Nicole for your help, Regarding the second sentence, I've copied from BBC website this is the full conversation: Mary Oh, hello. I'm Mary. I'm new. Sharon So is everyone else – you've come to register have you? Mary I think so. I think I need to fill in some forms.
1. Everyone would be the subject. It's an inverted sentence where so = too. We could say: "Everyone else is too." For example, someone might say, "I am cold." Response: "So is everyone else" = "Everyone else is cold too." 2. This sentence is a bit unnatural, but "have you" would be a tag question. We would more likely just say: "Are you here to register [for something]?"
Bella
Arabic, English, French