Hernandez
Criticism of / Suggestions for Hi, there Let us say I am writing a book and in Acknowledgments I want to thank someone who made a few good critical remarks on the first draft of the book and also made a few suggestions for it. The problem is that “criticism” and “suggestion” call for different prepositions. It’s “criticism OF” and “suggestions FOR”. How could I frame this sentence? Should I say “I’d like to thank Dr. Ford for the criticism OF and suggestions FOR the first draft of this book” of “I’d like to thank Dr. Ford for the criticism and suggestions FOR the first draft of this book” Please, which one (of these two sentences) is right?
11
0
I would word it as, “I’d like to thank Dr. Ford for the helpful criticisms and suggestions that she/he made for this first draft". (1) 'criticisms' works quite well with 'for' above. (2) Plural of 'criticism' works better. (3) It's preferable to add "helpful", as 'criticism(s)' can be interpreted negatively by itself if you are not careful.
“I’d like to thank Dr. Ford for all OF the constructive criticisms and suggestions FOR the first draft of this book” ;)
Please
Hernandez
English, French, Spanish