Seul
Usage of regret Can I use “regret” when it’s not my fault? For example, when someone else made a wrong decision, can I say “We expresses profound regret for your decision”.? Or can I only say regret when it’s our fault?
2
0
This is a difficult one as it varies by culture and geography. In the UK both Regret and Sorrow does not imply blame at all merely the emotional response to something that has occurred. In other cultures even within English speaking countries, this can vary. So it probably requires an understanding of the context. "We express (first person plural so no -es) profound regret for your loss" for example would be fine but does not suggest we killed your dog.
In the situation you describe, no, you cannot use 'regret'. When you mean "I'm sorry" -- and you have to tell someone something bad -- you can say: We regret to inform you that your application for citizenship has been denied.
Seul