Magdalena
present continuous/future continuous will be+ing form Hello, could you explain me why WILL BE DISCUSSING is the only correct option, and ARE DISCUSSING IS WRONG? Finally, let me remind you that all the elected student representatives ARE DISCUSSING/WILL BE DISCUSSING their views in the main lecture theatre next Thursday evening at 7.00 p.m.
Su.Ki. is absolutely right (she usually is!) - we often use Present Continuous to talk about definite future plans. (I'm playing tennis next week). Although Future Continuous sounds better in your sentence, Present Continuous isn't wrong.
'Are discussing' isn't wrong. In fact, it is quite normal to use the present continuous to refer to a scheduled arrangement. We'd be more likely to use a future continuous in this particular context, but it would also be possible to use a present continuous. Another very badly written test question, I'm afraid.
Because "are discussing" is in the present tense and "will be discussing" is in the future tense, and since the discussion will take place "NEXT THURSDAY", it is incorrect to use the present tense.
Hola