moussa
A step is heralded by glasses round Hi, everyine. What does 'A step is heralded by glasses round' mean? For me it seem that a preparation is presented by people who drinks altogether. Am I right?
5
0
As I suggested in my comment, it was both a little archaic, and also you took it out of context. It doesn't make sense without more of the sentence: "not a step was taken but was heralded by glasses round" In more modern English, that would be "not a step was taken that was not heralded by glasses around". Based on the original, I think that 'step' here means 'phase of the preparations'. And in other words, they toasted (with drinks) each step in the planning of the journey.
From that text, 'heralded by glasses round' means 'greeted or met by a celebratory drink'. It could be a figurative description - they simply celebrated or 'toasted' in some fashion with no drinks involved, or perhaps they did share a toast or celebratory drink.
Yes, Gray. It is taken out from a classic book, Travel with a Donkey in the Cevennes. You can read the orginal source as this address. https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=JNmGDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=%22heralded+by+glasses+round%22&source=bl&ots=AikXAh6f3n&sig=ACfU3U2DUysPL6tjNmTIWpKC-q50w6C7TQ&hl=ko&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji3NDQn_LjAhWDKqYKHVZxAqAQ6AEwAXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=%22heralded%20by%20glasses%20round%22&f=false
I agree with David. As it is, it makes no sense. Have you taken it out of context? i.e. was this part of a longer sentence? Or is it archaic English?
It sounds nonsensical
moussa
English, French, Korean