Ethan Lee
Does this sentence sound good? A friend of mine wrote to his girlfriend on their meeting anniversary and he wanted me to correct it if necessary. In the text he mentioned how they first met and then wrote: "I hope you know that that fortunate encounter made you matter to me so much until this very day." It sounds OK to me, but just in case. Thank you!
4
0
Definitely don't use until! Until implies that she stopped mattering to him "on this very day." I would just erase everything from "until" on: "I hope you know that that fortunate encounter made you matter to me so much." To make it a little more natural add has to further imply the action is continuous: "I hope you know that that fortunate encounter has made you matter to me so much." But if you want some dressiness we can make this both more natural and more writerly (this is going beyond simply grammatical correctness): "I hope you know that that fortunate encounter has made you so important to me." To my ear "matter to me so much" is a little awkward (grammatically acceptable, but could still scan better) so I say important conveys a little more sense in this regard. "I hope you know that that serendipitous encounter has made you so important to me." Serendipitous is a $25 dollar word that conveys for sure exactly what your friend is trying to say. "I hope you know that that serendipitous encounter has made you mean the world to me." Finally, rephrasing the important subclause to add emphasis balances the serendipitous a bit more. I think it has a bit more euphony this way. Still though there's something wrong here. "I hope you know that that serendipitous meeting has made you mean the world to me." I think reducing the word "encounter" to something more humble allows the serendipity of the encounter to come out. But still there's something else we could do: "I hope you know that that chance encounter has made you mean the world to me." Okay, so all of these sentences are grammatically correct. They all mean the same thing. It is really up to you and your friend which one you like. (I used to write love letters for friends)
Ethan Lee
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Hakka), Chinese (Taiwanese), English