L. K.
URGENT. What proper names come to your mind when you read a story about "chavs"? I need to know this in order to adapt a short translation from Spanish into English. I know that answering this question can be offensive for some people, but in Spanish we have some prototypical names that evoke in our mind the image of a person similar to a "chav". These names could be for example Jessica, Jennifer or Jonathan. I need to replace them in my translation so that native speakers of English could imagine a person like that when reading the story I'm translating. Thanks!
6
0
"Chav" is unknown in Canada. Wikipedia does have an article on it.
There is no one standard word across English you can use. In Australia for example, there is no equivalent term - or at least none that I've heard of.
It is a British English word, it isn't well known in the US , and judging by the other comments it isn't known in most of the colonies. It is only known to me because I have watched thousands of hours of British TV. On that basis I can very confidently say to just use whatever names you like. That type of person doesn't have a particular type of name. A diminutive form of the name would be better. ( meaning instead of "Rick" , use "Ricky" instead of " John" use "Johnny" ""Jessica" should be "Jess" or "Jessy" ) (edited to complete the last sentence)
New Zealand: Never heard this word. Hence nothing ccomes to mind except, I wonder what on earth they are talking about?
L. K.
English, French, German, Spanish
English, German