Ethan
Is it ok to say "the earthquake raged for two days"?
5
0
No, it's not quite right. There's no real logic here, just tradition, common usage, and colocation. The colocation is with the word "storm," "the storm raged." By extension, anything that is a kind of "storm" can rage. Typhoons rage, hurricanes rage, gales rage, blizzards rage, and tempests rage. (But thunderstorms do not "rage."). "Raging" is usually used for something involving wind, for a long period of time, with many periods of violence. We also use "rage" with wind-driven water: raging waves, a raging surf. A single earthquake only lasts for minutes. It doesn't fit because it's not a storm, doesn't involve wind, and isn't sustained. To refer to a period of days, including foreshocks and aftershocks, we can simply use the plural, "earthquakes." We can say "Earthquakes shook the region for two days." We can also use the word "ravaged, which is transitive verb meaning "destroyed by violence." An earthquake cannot just ravage, it has to ravage something. "In 2010, earthquakes ravaged Haiti for almost a week."
I would say no. First of all, I've never heard of an earthquake that lasts for two days. I don't think it is possible. So I'm not sure what you mean. What you might be referring to is the aftershocks. So in English an earthquake is a single instance of the earth shaking. It lasts typically seconds to minutes. The longest lasting earthquake in history appears to have lasted 10 minutes: https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Dec._2004_Sumatra_quake_was_longest_ever_recorded But aftershocks are earthquakes that happen after the first earthquake. In that case aftershocks can last for days. But a single aftershock will never last more than a few seconds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftershock
Ok? Yes. Normal collocation? no. Also, quakes are normally intermittant, shocks and aftershocks. So, might want to include that. The aftershocks continued/raged/ for two day. BTW: Also living in an earthquake zone, I know that any one shock can easily last more than a few seconds.
Ethan
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
English, Italian, Japanese, Spanish