Hanji
What 's "on"? What's "on" at the end of the sentence? Sponging off the kindness of strangers to further our own selfish travel goals is just not on! It's from this passage. So when Western people, with all the privileges we hold, are found 'begpacking' on the streets of developing countries, it can leave a sour taste. Tourism is a vital source of income in many countries; we should travel in such a way that maximizes the benefits for local people and businesses. Sponging off the kindness of strangers to further our own selfish travel goals is just not on! If you can't afford to travel, stay at home until you earn enough money to do it ethically. The original article is ://www.boredpanda.com/begpackers-tourists-travel-begging-locals-money/?utm_source=classic.italki&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=organic Thank you very much.
'On' means morally or socially acceptable. When we say "That's just not on!", we mean that it is wrong, unreasonable or unfair in some way.
It's not a typo. When you say "something isn't on", you mean that it's not OK or not acceptable. Here, the person is saying that we shouldn't take advantage of stranger's kindness for our own selfish material gain. I feel like it's a pretty common saying in the U.K., but maybe they don't use it in the U.S.
It isn't a typo!
typo! oh, I see. Thank you very much for your answer, Corey.
It's probably supposed to be 'ok.' I think it's just a typo, since "is just not on" doesn't make sense unless that's some kind of slang I've never heard.