Shia
What does "ponder twelve down" in "I was tapping my teeth with the pen, pondering twelve down."?
This person is doing a crossword puzzle. 'Twelve down' is one of the clues: word or phrase number twelve, written in a downward direction. It's a difficult one, so the person has to think about it: 'ponder' means to think about or consider for a while. While the person is trying to work out what the answer is, they're tapping the pen on their teeth.
Did the text really spell the word "twelve?" I would have expected it to be written and punctuated this way: I was tapping my teeth with the pen, pondering 12 Down. By the way, it's interesting that the speaker mentions a pen. Yes, serious crossword puzzle solvers make a point of using a pen. They are deliberately making it harder, because it prevents erasing and correcting. (I always use a pencil myself).
It refers to some one solving a crossword puzzle ( a word game where numbered clues are giving both across a grid and down a grid). pondering is equal to thinking, so the person was thinking of what the answer could be to 12 down. hope this helps :)