Toyger
This interested Is it correct to say "Although she likes insects, it's not the reason she's this interested in poisonous ones. Is she doing black magic?" "Is "this interested" mean "interested to this extent"? Or is it better to say " She's so interested to this extent"? Thank you.
10 أغسطس 2019 14:24
4
0
> Is "this interested" mean "interested to this extent"? Yes, that's right. As Michael says, the meaning is similar to "so." I would say that the difference between "so" and "this" is that "so" implies something excessive or more than expected, whereas "this" is a little more neutral, and simply refers to the specific degree/level/extent of something. "It's so cold" implies that it's very cold (it's cold to such an extreme/surprising degree), but "it's this cold" just implies that it is cold to a certain extent (it's cold to "this" degree). I agree with Michael that "so" probably works a little better in your sentence, since it sounds like you're saying that she's unusually/surprisingly interested in poisonous snakes. But the word "this" is also fine, if the speaker and the listener both understand what "this" (degree of interest) refers to, in context.
10 أغسطس 2019
(moved to answers section)
10 أغسطس 2019
The original sentence is correct, there’s no need to rephrase it. When you say it out loud, you emphasize the word ‘this’. And yes, it does mean ‘interested to this extent’.
10 أغسطس 2019
I don't quite know what you mean by "interested to this extent" and "She's so interested to this extent" sounds wrong. But your initial sentence is correct: "Although she likes insects, it's not the reason she's this interested in poisonous ones. Is she doing black magic?" Ah I think I get it now. Yeah, don't say "She's so interested to this extent." Just say "She's so interested." "She's this interested" also works. Not many people would use it though, it sounds a little awkward. "She's so interested" is more common.
10 أغسطس 2019
Toyger
English, Fur