Olga
Is this sentence correct? Which article should I use here? "Beside the different crystal structure, we also modelled quantum dots with a spherical and faceted shape". My question is whether "A" is the right article here (or should it be "shapeS" or is "shape" uncountable here)? Also, is the beginning of the sentence clear? Thank you.
4
0
The one word which confuses me slightly is 'Beside'. This word means 'Next to': for example, a picnic site beside the river. Do you mean 'next to', or were you thinking of 'besides'? If you were, then perhaps a phrase such as 'In addition to the different crystal structure..' would work better. In the second part of the sentence, you can use either singular with 'a' or plural with no article: ...with a spherical and faceted shape ( if they all had the same shape) ..with spherical and faceted shapes (if they had different spherical and faceted shapes).
Su.Ki. explained correctly. I assume that there are some "crystal structures" in your document since you used the adjective "different". Perhaps, the plural form is appropriate. Also, there is a subtlety that might be useful: "modelled" is British and "modeled" is American. Stick to one side in your whole document.
Olga
English, German, Italian, Russian