L. K.
"The wrath of Lord" or "Lord's wrath"? Context: The title of a text about slow dance that mentions that this kind of dance provokes the anger of the Lord. The original title in Spanish is "Baile agarrado e ira de Dios" that could be more or less translated as "slow dance and ***(one of the options in the title)." Thanks!
7
0
The 1611 King James version of the Bible has influenced English language and literature. In this translation, I find that: "the wrath of the Lord" appears thirteen times "the wrath of God" appears ten times "the Lord's wrath" appears twice "God's wrath" does not appear at all All four forms are correct, natural, and mean the same thing, so it is matter of style and preference. I prefer the "of" for two reasons. a) the forms with "of" are much more common than the other forms; b) it happens to correspond to the Spanish original with "de." "Dios" corresponds to "God," while "Señor" corresponds to "the Lord." Therefore, I think the most natural translation of "ira de Dios" is "the wrath of God."
First, you need to say "the Lord," not just "Lord." So it should be either "the wrath of the Lord" or "the Lord's wrath." Both are fine, really. The choice depends on what kind of impression you want to give your readers. "The wrath of the Lord" sounds very lofty, dramatic, and biblical. "The Lord's wrath" is more straightforward, and sounds more like modern speech (although the meaning still gives it a slightly biblical feel). A third option would be "the wrath of God." (Unlike "Lord," the word "God" is used as a name, so you don't need to put "the" in front of it.) I think I would probably pick "the wrath of the Lord" (or "the wrath of God") simply because "Slow Dance and the Lord's Wrath" is harder to say, and it almost sounds like "dance" and "wrath" are intended to rhyme. If you want the title to be slightly less lofty/biblical, "God" might be a better choice than "the Lord." There's no difference in meaning, though, so it's mostly just a choice of how you want the title to sound.
The Lord of Wrath
Thanks Merlyn!
Both are correct. The 1st one needs an article "the" : " The Wrath of the Lord" and I think that sounds best for a title, but thats just my opinion.
L. K.
English, French, German, Spanish
English, German