Rustam Mulyukov
Preposition VERY Can you explain, please, why an adverb 'VERY' is incorrect in these sentences? It seems that VERY is used as a 'gradable adverb'. I will be thankful for you! I really don't understand why. =\ 1. I had always VERY admired her work, and it was great to meet her. 2. Thanks for organizing the quiz night. Your help was VERY appreciated. 3. As a child, I VERY wanted to be an artist. 4. I would VERY prefer to be remembered as kind rather than wealthy. 5. Kristof says that he wants to go into politics, but I VERY doubt that he's serious 6. I VERY regret not being able to hear Dr. Greco when she gave her lecture.
7
0
The only 'why' that matters is that it is not correct. Grammar only describes what we say, it doesn't proscribe. And to be honest, I don't know how it is described in grammar, I just know that it is wrong. In all those examples, you just need to change 'very' into 'very much', and they are correct.
As an adverb of degree, it can be used to modify a gradable adjective or adverb, but not a verb.
1. I had always admired her work, and it was great to meet her. 2. Thanks for organizing the quiz night. Your help i was appreciated. 3. As a child, I wanted to be an artist. 4. I would prefer to be remembered as kind rather than wealthy. 5. Kristof says that he wants to go into politics, but I doubt that he's serious 6. I will regret not being able to hear Dr. Greco when she gave her lecture. it's not always use very for gradable adverb
Rustam Mulyukov
English, French, Russian