Pelin
Can I use these interchangeably? I'm not having an affair with anyone. I'm not having a relationship with anyone.
4
0
No. An "affair" is a forbidden relationship or encounter because you are in a relationship with someone else. And we'd be more likely to say "I'm not in a relationship..." but "having a relationship" is ok too.
Usually the word "affair" is used to describe when a person is cheating on their partner, whereas the word "relationship" in a romantic sense is the opposite as this is a commitment between two people that love each other and usually do not plan on cheating on their partner by having an affair. So, no they are not interchangeable usually. The word "affair" can be also used as another word for an event or a function such as a party eg) this affair is awfully dull.
No, you cannot use these interchangeably. Assume that you are married, and have a child then I'm not having an affair with anyone means a love affair I'm not having a relationship with anyone, is not true, because you have a relationship with your wife and a relationship with your child. affair usually means love affair relationship does not always or usually mean a love affair.
No. The meaning of affair and relationship are different. An affair is negative its a relationship that is usually done in secret because one or possibly both of the people are in a relationship with someone else.
Pelin
English, Turkish