Andrea
Community Tutor
Sentence order Hi, I'm reading a novel by a contemporary Irish author, and I found written: "You look good, I said. You look better than last time I saw you even" Now this "even" at the end baffles me: shouldn't it have been "You look even better than last time I saw you"? does this construnction with "even" at the end sounds natural to you? thank you
7
0
No, I don't think it should: the speaker doesn't mean 'even better'. The word 'even' seems to be modifying the whole statement. I'd imagine a comma before 'even' and interpret the whole statement as meaning either "You even look better than (the) last time I saw you" or "I'd even go as far as to say that you look better than (the) last time I saw you".
I agree with Milo. It sounds natural as a piece of dialogue. It would be incorrect if it were a piece of formal writing, but it's acceptable as dialogue. To answer your question, it is an informal use of language. =)
Thank you, Milo.
Yes, it sounds natural as a piece of dialogue, because the 'even' is tacked on as an afterthought by the speaker. If it were a piece of formal writing, it would be incorrect, but since the author is (presumably) trying to replicate informal speech patterns, it makes perfect sense.
Andrea
English, French, German, Italian, Romanian, Spanish
French, Romanian